Saturday 10 June 2017

Trees, their bark and clay.

I'm very lucky to live in a beautiful part of the world, with a garden full of mature plants and trees...lots of trees!
All my life I have found great comfort from the stability and familiar texture of trees.  Growing up I lived near a woodland and would often wander off the well worn path and lie down among the trees gazing in awe at their strength and beauty.
Now, in my relatively "new" life as a ceramicist I just love creating texture on my artwork. Clay is such a wonderful material to work with, currently I'm working on an idea involving making impressions in the clay from the living trees in my garden and firing them into ornamental pieces.
I will update you as this idea becomes a reality!
"Listen to the trees as they sway in the wind.
Their leaves are telling secrets. Their bark sings songs of olden days as it grows around the trunks.  And their roots give names to all things.  
Their language has been lost.
But not the gesture." - Vera Nazarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment